How to learn Siri without losing your mind
Siri is designed to be a virtual assistant that responds to commands, questions, and requests that you say, as opposed to type, into your mobile device.
Siri has access to the content stored in your iPhone, as well as an ever-growing arsenal of Internet based resources that you can use to quickly gather information or answers that you need within seconds after you verbally state your request.
How to Activating Siri
If you want to use Siri, you first must activate it. There are multiple ways to do this:
- Use the “Hey Siri” command. This works even when the device is in Sleep mode, but not when the iPhone or iPad is powered off altogether.
- Press and hold the Home button on your iPhone or iPad for two seconds.
- If you’re using Apple EarPods, press the middle button on the controls on the cable.
- Press and hold the Call button on your wireless Bluetooth headset that is paired with your iPhone or iPad
- Press the CarPlay button built in to the steering wheel or dashboard of your compatible car when your iPhone is linked with your vehicle.
Getting what you want from siri
- use Siri to launch any app. To do this, activate Siri and say, “Launch ( app name ).” If it’s a game you want to play, simply say, “Play ( game name ).” Another option is to say, “Open ( app name ).”
- For more information about how Siri can be used, activate Siri and say, “What can you do?” Or after activating Siri, wait for the “What can I help you with?”
- Siri can also be used to perform web searches, by saying something like :
“Look up the ( company ) website.” , “Google information about ( topic ).”
say, “Send an email to ( name ).” to Sending Email and Accessing New (Incoming) Email.
- Scheduling and Managing Meetings and Events , To do this, some of the things you can say include : “Set up a meeting with josh at noon tomorrow.” or “Meet with Emily for lunch at 2:00 p.m.”
Setting an Alarm or Timer : You can say something like, “Set an alarm for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow,”
- Getting Directions Using the Maps App say things like the following: “How do I get to [location]?” or “What’s a good steak restaurant in Boston?”
- You can control the Music app or the Apple Music service using your voice by saying things like the following: “Play [song title]” or “Play [artist’s name]”
- Reading or Sending Text Messages : activate Siri and say, “Read new text message.”
- Initiate a call by activating Siri and then saying, “Call [name] at home,” or “Call [name] at work.”
What's New Siri on iOS 11
- Siri can now translate spoken words or sentences between languages. Siri supported English, Spanish,Chinese, French, German, and Italian. Additional languages will be added moving forward.
- From the Siri & Search submenu, tap the Siri Voice option to give Siri an American, Australian, or British accent, and choose between a male and female voice.
- pair the AirPods to your iPhone/iPad, launch Settings, and then tap the Bluetooth option, If you want to use Siri with Apple’s AirPods.
Although much efforts have been put into making this virtual assistant, I am quite sure that Siri will misbehave at one time or the other. When this happen there are few things to do.
- Ensure that you are connected to a strong network : If you have bad or no internet connection, Siri may not work properly.
Therefore the first thing to check when Siri starts to misbehave is the internet connection.
- Tap the microphone button: if the device does not hear you, or to give it another command.
- Speak clearly in a silent place: Make sure you are speaking clearly and also try to avoid background noise.
- Try to restart your smartphone: If you find out that all what I have mentioned above does not work, you may try restarting your device because it may be that it is your device that is confused and not Siri.